Friday, September 12, 2014

P is for Paper Products



"I will read those when I get some time." " I was saving them for my daughter. I just haven't put them together and sent them to her." "There is just SO many that I'm overwhelmed."
Those are just a few of MANY responses I've been given when I first see a client for a consultation. Paper Products organization or removal make up 40 % of my business.Paper products include magazines, flyers, brochures, mail, junk mail, newspapers and files. I've gone into many homes and offices and the piles of papers are everywhere. And what starts out so unassuming (It's just paper?!) can be the MOST troublesome, space enveloping, overwhelming part of your space. If you have this problem (Even I'VE had this problem!), then of course you should contact THE SUPER ORGANIZER for assistance. But until then and over the course of time, I will offer some tips of how to handle this situation growing (or have already grown) in your space.
Where DO I start???? I believe that ANY step ANY size is a great thing!! I offer A WAY of getting started:
Start Slow and Easy
Identify a small spot in your home or office. It could be the small stack of papers on your desk. Maybe its six magazines in the bathroom. It's the post it notes on the refrigerator! Walk over to it.  Then one by one touch each piece and look at it. What is it? Can it be tossed, recycledfiled away or does it need to stay there? And really think about the answer, then act! Handle it right then and there. If its trash or can be trashed, walk over to the trashcan and throw it away. If its something that is ready to be filed away, than walk over to where it should be filed/put away and file/put it away. If its recycling, then set it aside till you have all the items to be recycled.(then after you're done, recycle them.) If its something that need to stay there, then decide is it something i can work on RIGHT NOW or does it have to wait. If you can work on it, I suggest you work on it and get it out the way (then of course you will file it.). If it needs to be package and mailed out, then package and set it up to mail it out.  If it has to wait, it has to wait. Neatly keep it there.I think you get the picture.  Its a slow process but you get there. An empty space emerges! Then the sense of accomplishment washes over you!!
I suggest doing this a couple of times a week. More and more space will open up. The key is to NOT stress out about doing it. Don't try to do it after you've had a long day at work and you're exhausted.  Maybe do it on a Sunday morning while you are drinking your morning cup of coffee. Do it when you're relaxed (well maybe not TOO relaxed.) Try it once and maybe you'll be motivated to try it again. The motivation may come to clear out whole areas eventually. Small steps can lead to big results.

No comments:

Post a Comment